Sunday, November 20, 2011

This Post was brought to you by the Number 6



Here is another little Home Decor creation to brighten up our little hallway to the Studio.
It's amazing how changing a door can change everything. All of a sudden, the hallway was about light. In the evening, that light story was a sad one. So we needed to change out the light fixture desperately.
I wanted something like this. 
However, my budget was closer to $5 than hundreds. I also had only about 8.5" to work with.
I started Googling and Pinterest searching for DIY Capiz Shell Chandeliers, and I found one.  However, her tutorial though fabulous is only a series of pictures and is for a much larger chandelier. This left me with a general idea and a large number of questions.
I did purchase a 5" lampshade at Christmas Tree Shop for $1. I bought 2 rolls of wax paper at the Dollar Tree.  I purchased a 1.5" circle punch with my 50% off coupon at AC Moore.
However, I couldn't tell how she attached the circles to the shade, and my hole punch was just making a frustrating mess until it finally jammed completely.
So here are my written instructions to make an
8.5" Faux Capiz Shell Chandelier
My apologies for my lack of images. Feel free to check the original tutorial for any images.
Materials
5" lampshade
2 rolls of standard size wax paper
1.5" circle punch
wire cutters
wire
2 small brass hooks
low wattage bulb (we used the type that looks like a candle)
standard single bulb light mount
 (similar to the ones found in a closet or unfinished basement)

Take 6 large sheets of wax paper.
Layer them ontop of eachother.
Cover with fabric.
Iron until the entire area is fused together.
Cut lots of  circles with 1.5" circle punch.
 I returned my Fisker for a Paper Shapers. I was pleased as PUNCH. Insert silly giggle here.
If you have punched your way through about 1.5-2 rolls of wax paper, you are doing great.
Rip the cloth off of your lampshade.
Cut out the bulb holder with wire cutters.
Find the mid line of the shade, and add a center wire line.
Determine how many circles long you would like each row to hang, then double that amount.
My top row is 5 long so each chain is 10 circles long
My second row is 4 long so each chain is 8 circles long.
My bottom row is 3 long so each chain is 6 circles long.
I also added extra 8 circle chains to the top row to add depth and a bit more layering at the end.
As suggested in the tutorial, I used a cupcake pan to seperate out each strand for sewing.
So first, I filled my tray with 10 circles in each holder, then 8, then 6.
I sewed using the same technique shown in the original tutorial. She includes a video. I just fed each circle into the machine one after the other to form the chain. I did back stitch at the beginning and end so they wouldn't unravel.
Then begin hanging the chains at the midpoint of the chain on the wires of the upside-down wire shade.
Keep hanging until you get your desired look.
Install your standard single bulb light mount.
Attach your brass hooks to the ceiling on either side of the light mount.
Hang your upsidedown shell covered shade to the hooks directly against the ceiling.
Enjoy!


I was pleased that it doesn't look overly DIY and really changes the whole feeling of this space.
Why was this post brought to you by the Number 6?
A. Because I've been watching too much Sesame Street with Lucas.
 B. Because this entire project was a frustrating mess until I finally used 6 sheets of wax paper. Less sheets looks more sheer and shell like, however the punch worked perfectly with the extra sheets and it still left a shell like look. 

Now I only have 1 project left for this hallway! I want to add a mirror to the bathroom door.
So this was yet another DIY hang up do to a little quirk in the process.
What's your magic number?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails